New construction projects allow you to start with a fresh, blank canvas. If you’re anything like us, you’re thrilled by the idea of letting your inner interior designer loose, making each room come alive with wall treatments, light fixtures, drapery, and accessories of every shape and size. But, of course, while it’s a great way to express your sense of style, some design elements are non-negotiable. So, somewhere within the wild experimentation and free expression of your interior design spree, you’ll need to make sure you’ve got the following essentials covered.
- Ample windows and skylights
- With more natural light to keep your spaces bright, you’ll make your home much more energy-efficient without the need to turn on lights throughout the day
- Open floor plan centered around kitchen/living room to maximize space
- The openness between the two spaces creates flow, making it easy to walk around
- Two-tone cabinetry enhanced with antique gold or black hardware
- The contrasting tones and hardware adds visual interest while making your kitchen look spacious
- Dedicated walk-in pantry
- A dedicated walk-in pantry frees up your kitchen of clutter
- Walk-in closets
- Who doesn’t want a private room for their clothes and accessories?
- Black-out window shades
- Get the best possible amount of sleep without outside light wake you
- Dual flush toilets
- Be more environmentally friendly and conserve valuable gallons of water by having a toilet with a low flush option
- Humidity controlled exhaust fans
- Quiet exhaust fans have been designed to reduce moisture keeping things like mold or mildew at bay
- Built-ins to maximize storage
- Custom shelving, hidden storage, and TV/entertainment media unit keep your spaces sleek, clutter-free, spacious, and flexible. Also, a well-placed built-in can be a great focal point of your living room.
Smart Home Technology
- App-driven technology
- Simplify your life by having your thermostat, security system, smart appliances, and lights controlled through your smartphone
- Build-in speakers
- You’ll save yourself valuable wall and floor space by having your speakers strategically placed within the walls/ceilings
- Plenty of power outlets with USB charging ports
- Thoughtful placement of outlets can make charging your devices and your life much easier
Interior design is the perfect time to express your aesthetic tastes and transform a house into a home, your home. As long as you’ve sorted out these core essentials, you will be free to go as wild as you want in your interior design endeavors. So what are you waiting for? It’s time to get designing!